July 9, 2021
Contact: Toshimaru Ogura
Citizens Liaison Committee Against Wiretapping Law
Joint Statement: Call for an immediate halt to the use of biometric technology in the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games
The undersigned organizations have issued a joint statement calling for a complete halt to the use of biometric technology in the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.
2020 “Olympic Disaster” Warning Liaison Group / JCA-NET / Asia-Japan Women’s Resource Center / Citizens Liaison Committee Against Wiretapping Law / Consumers Union of Japan / Network Against Japan Arms Trade
The main demands are as follows
- The Organizing Committee must cease all use of biometric technology.
- The sponsors must also stop using biometric technology in the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- The Japanese government must respect the fundamental human rights and the right to privacy guaranteed in the Constitution and international laws, and stop its policies and financial expenditures to promote the use of biometric technology in the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- All organizations involved in the Olympic and Paralympic Games, both public and private, should immediately dispose of any biometric data they have acquired.
- We demand that police and other investigative and law enforcement agencies dispose of their biometric equipment and stop using biometric technology.
For more details, please refer to the text of the statement.
The issue of the widespread use of biometric technology in the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics does not seem to have received much attention in Japan. This statement introduces the fact that a drastic review of the use of biometric technology is underway in many countries around the world, and once again raises the alarm about the serious problems caused by the use of biometric technology, and calls for its discontinuation. The statement can also be viewed at the following web site